Statement For The Bell Rock Hotel
Rock Hotel is situated on the level in Church Street, St Marys,
opposite the Methodist Church. Town Beach is approximately
100 yards in front of the hotel, and Porthcressa Beach is
about 150 yards to the rear of the hotel. Originally a private
house built around 1830, the property has been considerably
altered over the years and has been a hotel for over 100 years.
The Hotel is rated 2 stars for 2015. Letting rooms are on
4 floors, and the hotel does not have a lift. Direct access
to the hotel via one step is available at the rear of the
hotel to bedrooms and the dining room. From the dining room
there are 11 steps up to the reception area and bar/lounge.
From Church Street, access from the pavement is via 7 steps
up to the front door, and another step up to the door. We
do have guests who need wheelchairs staying with us - however
no rooms are purpose built for access, including en suite
bathrooms. We consider some mobility essential for an enjoyable
stay with us, and on the islands.
• If arriving at St Marys airport by Skybus, you will
be met by a Minibus taxi and brought to the door, with your
luggage; your return pick-up time will also be confirmed with
them. There is a small charge.
• If arriving by The ‘Scillonian’, the hotel
is approximately 10 minutes walk from the quay - luggage labelled
is delivered separately by Island Carriers shortly after arrival
- the cost is £1.35 (correct as of 2015) per case which
is paid by the hotel to Island Carriers on your behalf and
added to your hotel bill. A taxi can be booked to meet The
Scillonian if required, and the same operates in reverse on
• We do not accommodate pets.
• The hotel is non-smoking in all rooms and public areas.
• Our websiteswww.bellrockhotel.co.uk
provide pictures of our swimming pool, lounge bar, dining
room and bedrooms, also further information about services
Brochures and Menus can be provided in large print if needed.
We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in
• You can contact us by telephone, email or fax. Please
see "Contact Information" section of this document
for full details.
• Our manager and 10 staff intend to make your stay
with us restful, relaxing and enjoyable.
& Car Parking Facilities
• Access to your room is usually from 2pm.
• Sometimes rooms are available earlier by arrangement.
• Luggage can be left and the hotels facilities used
at any time.
• We offer assistance with luggage.
• It is highly unlikely that you will be bringing a
car to the islands
Entrance & Reception
• From the pavement there are 7 steps, with a hand rail
on one side, and a further step through the front door.
• The front door is open from 7:30am and locked at 10:30pm.
All guests are provided with a front door key.
Areas - General (Internal)
• From the hallway a door opens into the bar lounge
immediately after entering the hotel.
• There is an inner door and after turning left through
an archway there is the reception desk.
• The reception office is manned from 8:00am until 6:00pm.
• There is a telephone to call the manager or person
responsible until the bar lounge is closed, around 11:00 pm.
• Another door from the reception area at the bottom
of the stairs leads into the bar lounge over a small step.
• The bar lounge can seat approximately 40 people.
• The hotel has a full licence - guests can purchase
drinks anytime the bar is open, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
• The bar lounge has a filter coffee machine and guests
can help themselves after dinner at no extra charge.
• Tea is also available at no charge after dinner.
• Approximately 200 books are available for guests’
enjoyment and a small selection of DVD's, board games, playing
cards and magazines are also available.
• Newspapers are available from around 9:30am at Mumfords
Paper Shop, open Mon-Sat, only a 5 minute walk away. We are
unable to offer a newspaper service.
Areas - WC
• A ladies and a gents toilet are situated in the reception
/ Dining Room, Bar & Lounges, Take Away & Cafe
• From the reception area leads 10 steps, with a hand
rail on one side into the dining room with 50 covers.
• The dining room is approx 23 feet x 38 feet, with
carpeted floor, various paintings and wall lights and windows
that look out at our indoor swimming pool.
• Breakfast is served from 8:00am until 9:15 am and
dinner is served from 6:00pm until 8:00pm daily.
• Guests are allocated a table for the duration of their
• A full range of wines and alcoholic and non-alcoholic
drinks are served at your table on request. A detailed menu
is on each table, including a wine list. Sample menus can
be provided on request.
• Dinners are 3 courses with coffee afterwards in the
bar as well. There is a choice of each course, including vegetarian.
• Dietary requests - We can usually accommodate, subject
to sufficient notice being given and local availability.
• We ask guests not to use mobile phones in the dining
room and the bar lounge, as a courtesy to other guests.
• A glass panelled door at the bottom of the stairs
opens via 2 steps onto the walk around area to the swimming
pool and access to rooms 17, 22, 23 and 25.
The nearest launderette is approximately 150 yards.
The nearest shops are in Hugh Town, approximately 200 yards
• Indoor Swimming Pool
• Access is via 4 steps and through a locked/self closing
door. The code is given to guests when they request a towel
and towelling gown from reception. There is a small circular
changing area with curtains. Steps with a handle lead into
the pool - overall size 12'6" x 30'6". The water
depth varies from 3 feet to approximately 5ft 6".
• The water is covered by a heat retaining insulation
cover when the pool is not in use.
• The pool is open from 8:00am to 6:00pm.
• The water is heated to around 80 degrees Fahrenheit
plus, except in the early and late season when it may be less,
depending on the outside temperature.
• Children are not allowed (up to 16 years) without
a parent/guardian being with them at all times.
• No diving, ball games, splashing is allowed.
• No life guard is on duty - guests use the pool at
their own risk. We do not advise people to use it on their
own - guests must decide if they are fit and able to use the
pool. An emergency bell push is on the wall to summon help
and a life ring is on the wall. Guests use the pool at their
own risk and no responsibility will be accepted for use of
• There are non-slip tiles surrounding the pool and
on the steps at the shallow end.
• The hotel has a small paved garden area by the front
door, with palm trees and a bench.
& Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
• The hotel has 23 bedrooms.
• All have bathrooms.
• Some have showers only, without baths.
• All have WC's and wash basins.
• Nearly every room is different size and shape.
• The largest double bedroom is 21ft x 13ft including
• The smallest double bedroom is 14’6 x 12ft,
including en suite.
• We have single, double, twin and triple bedded rooms.
• Some top floor rooms have indirect sea views, across
roof tops, either to Porthcressa bay or across the harbour
• All bedrooms have either radiators or electric wall
heaters with thermostats.
• Each bedroom has a direct dial telephone.
• Each bedroom has a kettle and tea and coffee making
• Each bathroom has soap, shampoo, sewing/repair kit
and a hair dryer.
• Pillows are synthetic.
• Our beds are normally made with duvets, but can be
made with blankets if preferred. Please specify at time of
• There is a wardrobe, chest of draws and dressing table
in each room and additional seating.
• A radio alarm clock and television with DVD player
is in each room.
• A folder in each bedroom contains further information
about the hotel, details of emergency contacts, including
doctors and hospitals. Also the facilities available on the
islands - shops, restaurants, boating, tours, entertainments
• We have 4 bedrooms on the ground floor with direct
access via one step from the rear of the hotel.
• The other bedrooms are on three floors, access via
a winding narrow staircase to the top floor rooms which might
not be suitable for anyone unable to climb stairs - please
check before booking as each one is different due to the age
and layout of the building.
• Fire extinguishers are in obvious places around the
hotel. A full fire detection (smoke) system is fitted in each
room. In the event of a fire, alarm bells will ring continuously
- please follow the exit signs to evacuate the property. The
alarm bell system is tested weekly
• The system was renewed in 2008 and is to the latest
• All fire escape routes are clearly marked and lit.
• We are happy to refrigerate any medication for you,
please ask. The tap water is of perfect quality to drink.
• Mobile Phones - reception varies on the island
(Vodafone, Orange, O2 & 3)
• Vodafone is very good almost everywhere and O2 is
the next best.
• The others vary and some will work in some places
and not others so please check with your provider.
• We ask that guests do not use their mobile phones
in the bar lounge or the dining rooms.
• Each bedroom has a direct dial phone - 20p per unit.
• Incoming calls will be put through when reception
• Guests can use the fax in reception, 50p per A4 sheet
sent - no charge for incoming faxes.
• Printing of any required documents for guests is at
10p per A4 sheet
• Address: Bell Rock Hotel (Isles of Scilly) Ltd., Church
Street, St Marys, Isles of Scilly, TR21 0JT
• Telephone: 01720 422575
• Fax: 01720 423093
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: www.bellrockhotel.co.uk
• Hours of operation for enquiries: 8am to 9pm
• Emergency number: There is an emergency only night
number on reception and in all bed rooms for contacting a
member of staff.
• We have a constant rolling program of upgrading the
public areas and bedrooms.
you require further details or have any comments about the
services we provide do not hesitate to contact us.